PAX Gold (PAXG) is a gold-pegged token launched in 2019 by Paxos Trust Company, well-known for its Pax Standard dollar-backed stablecoin.
Table of Contents
What Is PAX Gold?
PAX Gold (PAXG) is a gold-pegged token launched in 2019 by Paxos Trust Company, well-known for its Pax Standard dollar-backed stablecoin. Being an asset-backed product, one PAXG represents a troy ounce of gold’s price, meaning its value is tailored to the market price of the precious metal.
From a technical point of view, Pax Gold is an ERC-20 token created on Ethereum blockchain, hence it can be utilized by any crypto holder without hassle – it’s easily compatible with major wallets and supported be big exchanges. Needless to say, Paxos company is a licensed custodian that provides high security standards and goes through financial audits regularly. Pax company works along with Loco London Bank: if you have an account there, you can conveniently convert your unallocated gold bars to PAXG tokens just in one day, or redeem your unallocated gold back. You can also redeem for a gold bullion and even order delivery.
Pros and Cons of PAX Gold
Advantages of PAX Gold
- The original idea of tokenizing assets and simplifying speculations on gold price attract many crypto lovers and allow the project to find its niche.
- Buying the tokens instead of gold bars removes the obstacles related to holding physical gold, particularly logistics, storage, and safety of the asset. PAXG users just buy the ownership rights, whilst the gold bars remain in the custodian’s vaults.
- With Pax Gold, an investor can easily buy a fractional amount of a gold bar if they don’t need a whole troy ounce. It is available in fractions as small as an exchange permit. It makes the investments affordable even for small traders.
- Unlike physical gold, it provides staking and lending opportunities and allows earning extra interest – on Block.fi or You.Hodler, to name just a few.
- Pax Gold is issued on the Ethereum ERC-20 protocol, which makes it easily compatible with most services.
Disadvantages of PAX Gold
- PAXG is not the only stablecoin pegged to gold on the market. Its leading rival is Tether Gold (XAUT), and in fact, it was the first one, making PAXG the second popular gold-backed cryptocurrency.
- KYC requirements. Similar to gold, only verified users can redeem Pax Gold or purchase and sell it for fiat. It presents certain difficulties for those who live in non-crypto-friendly countries or just prefer to invest without letting the world know.
- Except for the network fees, there is a fee to create and destruct PAXG tokens. Whenever you create or redeem tokens, you pay a fixed price that may be extremely high for small transactions.
PAX Gold Price Prediction
Chainlink Price Prediction
Elrond Price Prediction
Swap PAX Gold